Bowls Queensland, Media Release, 9 July 2021
On 24 June, CQDLBA celebrated 70 years since the association was formed in 1951. The association has had many presidents over the years. The first president was Mrs L Thorne, who was a member of Athelstane Bowls Club in Rockhampton and remains the longest serving member to this day.
Fifteen clubs were represented at the inaugural meeting. The Central Queensland District covered an area south to Miriam Vale and Biloela, south west to Theodore, Moura and Baralaba, west to Emerald and Longreach and north to Clermont, Moranbah and St Lawrence. Due to the mileage covered, a new district was formed in 1979, Central Highlands (now known as Leichhardt), and in 1983 Gladstone area broke away and became the Port Curtis District. By this time there were still six clubs remaining in the Central Qld District. Today there are 10 clubs, some with only one to two female registered players.
The 70th anniversary was celebrated at the Yeppoon Club with a 2- bowl triples carnival and the cutting of a cake, which was made, iced and donated to the district by the Krackers Sailing Club, Yeppoon. Thank you to everyone who attended our special day.