THIS FESTIVAL HAS BEEN RESCHEDULED TO 2022
Lismore Friendship Festival will host the second annual Italian Film Festival at Lismore’s bccEvent Cinemas on Saturday, August 7 and Sunday August 8 2021. Following the success of the first event in 2019 it was decided that a sweep of historic and contemporary films will attract another audience of movie buffs.
Lismore Friendship Festival has been working with partners, bccEvent Cinema in Lismore, to bring together those interested in multilingual films with specific Italian flair. The Lismore Italian Film Festival, will present all the genres, loads of celebrity appeal, humour, excitement and homage to great directors from across the globe like Fellini, Ron Howard, and Matteo Garrone.
The Festival acknowledges the contribution made by Italian settlers to the cultural life of the region. This year it celebrates the 30th anniversary of the formal friendship relationship between Lismore and two NE Italian cities of Conegliano and Vittorio Veneto.
Secure your tickets through https://www.eventcinemas.com.au/Cinema/Lismore.
You can use your NSW discover vouchers.
This year’s program includes:
Saturday, August 7
- 12pm – Ferrante Fever – A documentary film exploring the explosive international literary success of anonymous Italian writer Elena Ferrante, author of My Brilliant Friend among other best sellers. Her tale of female friendship in Italy’s post-war period struck a chord with many.
- 2pm – Promised – This 70s-set romantic drama reveals that love, like life, can never be perfectly arranged. The intergenerational domestic adventure starts In 1953 when two men make an arrangement for their children to marry each other as adults. In 1974 the children are expected to follow through! The movie stars Australians Paul Mercurio and Tina Arena.
- 6.30pm – Pavarotti – Luciano Pavarotti’s charm, charisma and ability is explored in Ron Howard’s inspiring documentary. Featuring never-before-seen footage, concert performances and intimate interviews examines the life and career of famed Italian opera tenor.
Come dressed in the costume of your favourite opera character (for a prize!). Listen to local accordion player Val Wills and join family and friends to enjoy antipasto and Prosecco prior to the screening.
Sunday, August 8
- 12pm – 10 Days without Mamma – Italian comedy royalty reunites in Alessandra Genovesi’s hilarious comedy about a father left in charge of his three children while Mum goes away on holiday! What could possibly go wrong?
- 2.30pm – Classic movie: 8 1/2 – Troubled Italian filmmaker Guido Anselmi (Marcello Mastroianni) struggles as he attempts to get a new movie off the ground. Overwhelmed by his work and personal life, the director retreats into his thoughts, which often focus on his loves, both past and present, and frequently wander into fantastical territory.
- 5.30pm – Pinocchio – Matteo Garrone’s award-winning live-action version of Pinocchio is an enthralling gothic fantasy starring Roberto Benigni as the woodcutter Geppetto. Geppetto’s puppet creation, Pinocchio, magically comes to life with dreams of becoming a real boy.