After many years of dedicated community support and tireless advocacy by local volunteers, the Australian Army Cadets (ACC) has officially established a permanent presence in Corryong, providing crucial youth development opportunities where they’re needed most.
The establishment marks a significant milestone for the Upper Murray community, where approximately 40-50 young people have already benefited from the cadet program over the past years with six going on to join the Australian Defence Force and many others securing local employment and becoming active community members.
“In a remarkable show of community confidence, the newly formed detachment was entrusted with a significant ceremonial responsibility – emceeing for the official opening of the new memorial on the Corryong Avenue of Honour on Anzac Day,” said Captain ACC, Dale Manley.
Originally established along Towong Road in August 1918, the Avenue of Honour has served as a living memorial representing community solidarity and reflection for more than a century.
Cadet Under Officer Rowlinson and Cadet Sergeant Cremona, two senior local cadets, were given the privilege of conducting the official opening ceremony with the ribbon being cut by Irene Coonan and Josie Parker, two of three great granddaughters of Mrs Hamilton who cut the ribbon in 1918 at the original opening of the Avenue of Honour.
“This was a great honour for 37ACU and our newly formed Corryong detachment and its senior local cadets,” Capt Manley said.
“The ceremonial role demonstrates the deep trust and respect the Corryong community has already placed in the cadet program and its young leaders,” he said.
The new detachment is the culmination of years of commitment by Capt Manley and local Army Cadet Officers Lt AAC Carli Cameron, 2Lt AAC Michael Cameron and 2Lt (AAC) Shirley Sprenger, who have been transporting up to 12 cadets on the three-hour round trip to Albury-Wodonga for weekly training sessions.
“This program gives cadets life skills including leadership, initiative, problem solving, communication, teamwork and self-esteem,” Capt Manley said.
“The program fosters a sense of identity and purpose, allowing them to contribute to their community while developing strong bonds with their peers.”
The establishment of the detachment has received backing from the Victorian Brigade, 33 Battalion and 37ACU, as well as financial support from the Border Nashos Inc, whose donation will help establish the new facility.
“The timing couldn’t be more crucial for Corryong and surrounding areas,” Capt Manley added.
“According to the Corryong Health UM2030 Vision Plan, the region faces significant challenges including limited youth engagement opportunities and youth mental health concerns including suicide, employment issues and low education levels.
“The Wednesday afternoon timing (4pm-7pm) has been specifically chosen to avoid conflicts with other local youth activities like football and netball, while allowing students to transition directly from school to cadets.”
The Australian Army Cadets is a national youth development program that shares the character and values of the Australian Army through community partnership.
The program emphasises:
- Service – putting others ahead of yourself
- Courage – building confidence and resilience through challenging activities
- Respect – fostering mutual respect, teamwork, and understanding of diversity
- Integrity – consistency of character and actions to do what is right
- Excellence – striving each day to be the best you can be
Cadets aged 13-18 participate in practical experiences including fieldcraft, STEM, robotics, navigation, first aid and ceremonial duties; all supervised by trained adult volunteers from the community in a safe environment.
“The establishment of the new detachment follows challenges earlier this year when the Corryong Neighbourhood Centre – which had provided the community bus, fuel, and insurance for cadet transport for eight years – faced funding uncertainties from state and federal government changes,” Capt Manley said.
“The response from local cadet staff, supported by media coverage including ABC radio interviews and local press, helped galvanise community support and accelerated efforts to establish a permanent local presence.
“Local council support in facilitating the venue has also been instrumental in making the detachment a reality.
“We believe this program will empower the Corryong and broader community youth to achieve their potential.
This article appeared in Corryong Courier, 30 April 2026.
Related story: Our fallen will never be forgotten



