Scenic Rim producer collective launches the Towri Growers Market – time to make farmers famous, and bring your family and your fur babies!!
Towri Growers Market, Media Release, 12 January 2024
Attention family foodies and gentlepeople, adventurers and flavour chasers, sippers and tipplers, recipe gypsies, thinkers, local produce lovers, fur babies and friends of farms: in 2024 a new and incredibly authentic farmer’s market is coming to South East Queensland and the growers need you!
Announcing Towri Growers Market, where a full monthly shop can be done direct from the farmers, on the farm at Towri Sheep Cheeses just outside Brisbane, near Beaudesert in the Scenic Rim on the first Saturday of each month, commencing February 3.
Starring real producers and growers only (so there’s no pop-ups and part-timers who view the local grocery store or Rocklea Markets as their ‘paddocks’), the monthly paddock to plate growers market will allow for shopping direct from a collective of Scenic Rim farmers, on the stunning grounds of an artisan sheep farm and cheesery. As Big Grocery continues to squeeze farmers, the time is right and ripe for farmers to do it for themselves!
Dallas Davidson from Towri Sheep Cheeses said, “Our Growers Market initiative has been months in planning as a pivot to offset the challenges we are expecting this year in terms of drought. However, following the Christmas Day tornado on Tamborine Mountain and the recent flooding, it is even more important for people to support the growers and producers of the region.”
“Our producer community is resilient, we’ve lived through fire, floods, drought, Covid, and now a tornado, but we need people from all over South East Queensland to come and support us, to buy direct from us as growers and producers, to get to know us, to share our stories and become our extended family. We are just an hour from Brisbane and a little more from the Gold Coast, but the trip means the world to us, and we guarantee it’s a better experience than walking up and down the aisle of a major grocery store.”
“We are calling on South East Queensland to swap the grocery aisle for the farm in 2024. We promise a brilliant market, plus lots to do – there’s sheep milking demonstrations, loads of sheep pats, great lawn games, wine tasting and more, and fur babies are welcome!”
Stars of the monthly market are names known, loved and highly respected and awarded, including Tommerup Dairy Farm, Towri Sheep Cheeses, Valley Pride Produce, Harry’s Paddock, The Black Bee Apiary, Baney Creek Vineyard, the chefs from Embers Woodfire, The Lingering Baker and many more.
Kay Tommerup from the sixth generation Tommerup Dairy Farm said, ”If there’s one thing that I’ve learnt about farmers and producers in the Scenic Rim, it’s that we always find a way. A way to rebuild, regroup, reinvent, and reimagine. Anything is possible when we work together and support each other. The Towri Growers Market has come from producers supporting each other to create a regular on-farm produce experience, where authenticity and connection to farmers is our focus. On the first Saturday of each month, you’ll find the best of Scenic Rim produce all available in one fabulous place. A collection of our farmer friends will bring their wares – from our family farms to your family table.”
The Towri Growers Market – a snapshot:
- Meet the local farmers who grow the fresh produce you love – dairy, meat, fruit, veg, baked goods and preserves.
- Meet the award-winning chef team from @embers_woodfire as they create taste sensations combining local produce in real life on the farm!
- Meet beekeepers Chris Topher from Black Bee Apiary – the bees call Towri home so the honey is made with zero food miles!
- Sheep Milking Demonstrations 10am |1pm
- Wine Tastings
- Endless Sheep Pats
- Live Music Every Month by @taleahlivingsmusic
- Lawn Games
- Packed Towri Farm Shop
- Local Makers: Candles, Ceramics, Skin Care, and preserves
- Local coffee
- A completely family friendly market, with lots for the kids to do
- Fur babies welcome!
- At every market one lucky shopper will win a hamper packed with local produce, announced at 12pm (winner must be present on the day to receive the award.
Towri Growers Market
- From The Farmers, On The Farm
- 1st Saturday of every month starting February 3, 9am-2pm, $5 entry
- Towri Sheep Cheeses – 206 Saville Road, Allenview
- Follow @towri_growers_market for full details.