Bureau of Meteorology, Media Release, 2 February 2021
Tropical cyclone activity from Australia to the South Pacific
- Tropical low and cyclone activity extends from Western Australia to near Fiji.
- A separate tropical low may develop in the Gulf of Carpentaria later this week.
Madden-Julian Oscillation stalls over South West Pacific region
- The Madden–Julian Oscillation (MJO) is at moderate to strong magnitude over the western South Pacific region.
- This MJO pulse is forecast to slowly move into the central Pacific, where its influence on rainfall over northern Australia typically decreases.
Monsoon conditions may continue across Australia during the next fortnight
- Despite the expected reduction in influence by the MJO, monsoon conditions look set to persist across northern Australia.
- A tropical low that is expected to form in the Gulf of Carpentaria may re-invigorate the active monsoon currently affecting Australia’s tropics.