In order to assist readers of Australian Rural & Regional News to obtain some more policy detail from candidates running for rural and regional seats at the up and coming Federal election, Kookaburra has put together a list of questions on some critical issues which one might expect any candidate standing for Parliament to be able to answer.
These questions do not in any way attempt to address the many issues confronting Australia, and rural communities in particular, however, we hope that they may go some way to assisting both the candidates to expand upon their views and their potential constituents to learn more about their local candidates:
- If you are an independent candidate, in the event of a hung Parliament, will you support the formation of a Coalition or an ALP minority government?
- What is your position on water buybacks in the Murray-Darling Basin?
- What is your position on the building of dams generally and in particular in regard to flood mitigation?
- What is your position on controlled burning in order to reduce the likelihood of high intensity bushfires?
- What is your position on the continuation of the forestry industry?
- What is your position on the acquisition of nuclear submarines?
- What is your position on nuclear energy – both nuclear fission and nuclear fusion?
- What is your position in regard to the agreement signed between the Solomon Islands and China?
- What do you suggest in order to reduce the record levels of Federal Government debt?
- What do you suggest in order to reduce the burden of taxation and red tape on small and medium sized businesses?
- What do you suggest in regard to obtaining additional tax revenue from multinational corporations operating within Australia?
- What do you suggest in terms of finding additional workers for the agricultural sector?
- What are your views on rural health services – can they be improved and how?
- What is your view on the creation of an Australian republic?
- If you think there should be an Australian republic, how would that happen and how should it be structured in terms of head of state, direct election of head of state or some other process, etc?
- What is your view of a Carbon Tax and if you support the concept, at what rate should it be levied?
- What is your view of an Emissions Trading Scheme? How would it work?
- What is your view on coal mining?
- What is your view on vaccine mandates?
- What is your view on gun control?
- What is your view on enshrining recognition of indigenous people in the Commonwealth Constitution and, if you are in favour of such a move, how should that be done?
- How do you think that the aged care industry should be reformed?
- How do you think that the NDIS should be reformed?
- What is your view on live sheep and cattle exports?
- What is your view on abortion?
- Could more be done to save the Great Barrier Reef and, if so, what?
- What is your view on the Federal Government’s Religious Discrimination Bill?
Time permitting, any answers received from candidates will be published in ARR.News.