artists collective, kangaroo island inc, Media Release, 19 April 2021
From higher-than-expected visitor numbers, increased artist participation and record sales – the 2021 Kangaroo Island Easter Art Exhibition has been an extraordinary triumph.
A steady stream of visitors admired more than 200 works from 90 artists during the 16-day event which began with an exclusive Opening Night on Good Friday.
The Exhibition culminated on Sunday (April 18) with the naming of the People’s Choice winner (see key facts below).
It was Janine Mackintosh, a dear friend of the late Diana Keir, who was honoured with the inaugural Diana Keir Art Award and received $5000 in prize money for her exquisite mandala of eucalyptus leaves entitled Habitat Sweet Habitat.
Other winners include: Kyle Armstrong (second) and a collaborative work by Sleeman, Mackintosh, Byass and Foreman (third).
In the 2D category, first and second prize went to Ky Alecto and Quentin Chester respectively, while the 3D winners were Rose Walker, first, and Matt Nettheim, second.
Chair of the Exhibition’s convening committee, Dr Peggy Rismiller, said she was thrilled with the success of the 2021 Exhibition.
She also thanked the Exhibition’s judges – Rhana Devenport and Emma Fey – for their involvement and helping to shine a light on the Awards which had to be postponed last year due to the bushfires and the Covid pandemic.
Ms Devenport is the Director of the Art Gallery of SA and Ms Fey is the Chief Executive Officer of Guildhouse.
The Kangaroo Island Easter Art Exhibition celebrated its 35th anniversary this year.
“After many bumps on the road – which were completely beyond our control – it is fabulous that the Exhibition has proven to once again be a resounding success,” Dr Rismiller said.
“The artwork captured many mixed emotions – while some artists focussed on the fires, many others focussed on moving forward, serenity and rejuvenation.
“This is a coup not only for the artists presenting but also the Island’s economy and overall vitality. We all know that Kangaroo Island is a magical piece of the world. The Kangaroo Island Art Exhibition reinforces this.”
Other key facts from the KI Easter Art Exhibition:
- The People’s Choice Winner was Jennifer Macauley with her oil on canvas, The Survivalist
- As of Monday (August 19), 70 art works have been sold, representing 45 artists.
- 14 artists sold all of their displayed work
- Quentin Chester was a very popular choice with eight of his stunning photographs purchased.
- There were eight first time entrants from the mainland (South Australia and interstate)
- There were 22 first time entrants from Kangaroo Island
- Many sold artworks are being taken to the mainland with two being freighted interstate (to WA and ACT)
- There is still art available for sale