Tweed Shire Council, Media Release, 31 May 2021
Join the festivities and celebrations for World Environment Day 2021, focusing on this year’s theme ‘Ecosystem Restoration’ and the commencement of the United Nations Decade on Ecosystem Restoration.
At the festival on Sunday 6 June from 10am – 3pm at Knox Park, come and be part of the day as the community gathers in recognition of the importance of our incredible local environment, and acknowledge the global significance of restoring the health of our ecosystems.
Come and say hi at the Council stall: as we love to hear how your restoration is progressing, and whether there’s anything that our programs can do to help. Council’s waste, water and energy programs will also be on hand to help reduce your environmental footprint even further.Whether you live in suburbia or on acreage, we’ll have information and tips to help you learn about ecological restoration and how to grow and conserve native plants and animals on your land.
Check out our native garden planting guide.
Learn how Council’s Private Land Conservation Program can work for you.
The 2021 Tweed Sustainability Awards will be launched on the day and visitors will be able to send an eco love letter to sustainability champions in the Tweed, to thank them for their inspiration and encourage them to nominate and be celebrated in the 2021 awards.
Schedule of events
- 10 am – Official opening
- 10:05 am – Welcome to Country
- 10:15 am – Youth poet Jasmin Logan
- 10:20 am – Aboriginal dance performance
- 11 – 11:45 am – JB & the MMMMS band
- 11:50 am – Joyality workshop
- 12:20 am – Hoopla Kids Circus
- 12:50 am – Sustainability Awards announcement
- 1 – 1:30 pm – JB & the MMMMS band
- 2:15 – 2:45 pm – JB & the MMMMS band
- 2.45 – 3 pm – Enviroquest draw, Team Koala draw, NRG draw
Speakers’ tent program
- 11 am – Robert Kooyman: Forest Ecologist
- 11:30 am – Kieran Richardt: Native Habitat Restorers
- 12 pm – Troy Green: Tweed Shire Council Towards Zero Waste
- 12:15 pm – Scott Sledge: NRG Environmental protectors
- 12:30 pm – Courtney Castles: Stingless Native bees
- 1 pm – Sapoty Brook: EV Strategies and Solutions
- 1:30 pm – Steve Cran: Permaculture Solutions and Beyond
- 2 pm – Grant Perriot: Zero Emissions Tweed
- 2:30 pm – Martin Ernegg: Building with Weeds & Hemp