The Opposition is calling for the Cook Government to release the results of the investigation in response to the wrong-way collision near the Mitchell Fwy and Romeo Rd off-ramp in October last year as well as any action taken.
A second wrong-way collision on February 8, not far away from where the first head-on happened, resulted in the deaths of two people.
The first fatality associated with the off-ramp happened on October 1 last year when 60-year-old Johnny Gray crashed into another car after driving the wrong way down the Mitchell Fwy off-ramp at Romeo Rd.
In the most recent head-on crash WA Police said a white Isuzu utility was travelling southbound on the Mitchell Fwy northbound, near Lukin Dr when it collided with a white Toyota Yaris hatchback and a white MG MG4 hatchback.
A 56-year-old woman, the driver and sole occupant of the Toyota, was declared deceased at the scene.
The 24-year-old male driver and sole occupant of the white Isuzu utility was taken to Joondalup Health Campus with critical injuries where he later died.
The two occupants of the MG sustained non-life-threatening injuries.
Opposition Transport spokesman Steve Martin said when the first wrong-way crash occurred in the area in October, Police Minister Reece Whitby said police and Main Roads WA were aware of the issue and would be doing their own investigation and that if there were any lessons to be learned, they would follow those up.
“So, we’re calling on the state government to outline what lessons were learned and explain what was done to address the identified problem ahead of this latest collision,” he said.
“The public deserve to know whether this latest incident could have been avoided.
“According to media reports, the major crash squad is investigating whether the vehicle driving south in the northbound lanes of the freeway entered the wrong side of the freeway via the Romeo Rd off-ramp on Sunday, causing the collision.
“Despite a statement from Main Roads saying that additional pavement markings and larger signs were installed in December 2025, it appears that the Mitchell Fwy and Romeo Rd off-ramp continues to represent a confusion risk for some drivers seeking to turn southbound to Perth.”
Main Roads WA has been contacted for comment.
If you or anyone you know has been affected by a road crash contact Road Trauma Support WA on 1300 004 814.
- Editor’s note: The prevalence of the Facebook fatal accident scam requires Yanchep News Online to turn off commenting on this post.
- If you want to comment you are welcome to write a letter to the editor or email anita.mcinnes@yanchepnewsonline.com.au.
This article appeared on Yanchep News Online on 12 February 2026.

