Saturday, December 3, 2022

Lack of child care at Kingston hits federal parliament

Recent stories

Chris Oldfield, Naracoorte Community News

The lack of child care for around 50 families on a waiting list at Kingston has been raised in the Australian Federal Parliament.

“Those in this chamber have heard me speak about Kingston South East and a lack of childcare services before,” Member for Barker Tony Pasin told parliament.

“It’s a town with less than 2,000 people, but it’s a town with a big need for increased child care, with around 50 families currently on the waiting list.”

He highlighted the Kingston District Council had made an application for funding to a government agency following the devastating Keilira bushfire.

But the application to establish a standalone childcare service for the community had been rejected by the National Recovery and Resilience Agency.

Mr Pasin told parliament: “I haven’t been backwards in coming forward about my disappointment with that outcome.

“A farming region devastated by fire, and parents unable to earn off-farm income because there was no childcare service available.

“While the agency might not feel this is an important issue, I’ve got to tell you that I certainly do.”

Mr Pasin told parliament that families deserved access to quality child care regardless of where they lived.

He praised the government’s $19.4 million expenditure to support the establishment of 20 new childcare services, and pledged to continue fighting for a service at Kingston.

Mr Pasin’s statement in its entirety can be found in Hansard.

This article appeared in the Naracoorte Community News.

close

KEEP IN TOUCH

Sign up to the Australian Rural & Regional News weekly newsletter

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

For all the news from Naracoorte Community News, go to https://www.naracoortenews.com/