TAG
water buybacks
Devastating scale of water buybacks revealed while critical questions go unanswered: NFF
The Federal Government has inadvertently revealed that damaging water buybacks will make up at least a third of water recovery under its revised Murray Darling Basin Plan, at a starting price exceeding $3 billion … “The Minister has said last week the current 1500GL cap on buybacks will be lifted': National Farmers' Federation Water Committee Chair, Malcolm Holm.
Take buybacks off the table – MRSG
A leading community and farming representative group in the NSW Murray is calling on the Albanese Government to "take water buybacks off the table". It comes after Water Minister Tanya Plibersek announced buybacks would be used to recover water, including an additional 450 gigalitres which was not part of original Murray-Darling Basin Plan recovery targets ... MRSG chair, Geoff Moar, described news of the buybacks as a "dagger in the heart" of rural communities, especially after constant government promises that they would only be considered if there were no negative social and economic consequences.
Vic stands strong, NSW crumples under Albo water grab
The Albanese Government has officially declared war on Basin communities and Australian families who are suffering with the cost-of-living crisis. On Tuesday, the Federal Water Minister declared that the Murray-Darling Basin Plan MKII would remove the legislated protections around taxpayer funded water buybacks and the new plan extended to 2027 ... The Murray-Darling Basin Plan clearly demonstrates legislation is only abided by when it’s convenient to the political outcomes sought, and changed when it’s problematic to those ends.
Listen to people who have ‘lived experience’ – SRI
“We know the devastation of flooding caused by holding too much water in dams. We know that due to constraints issues it is pointless recovering the massive water volumes that are being planned, because it is impossible to deliver them downstream ... governments must listen to people who are ‘on the ground’ and have a different understanding of Basin Plan implementation to those who live in cities and base their assessments on computer modelling”: Jan Beer.
Malinauskas Government welcomes agreement to deliver the Murray Darling Basin Plan in full: Close
The Malinauskas Government welcomes the new agreement to deliver the Murray-Darling Basin Plan in full including the 450 gigalitres of environmental flows we have long campaigned for. With the exception of Victoria, all Basin jurisdictions and the Commonwealth have agreed to deliver the plan in full including legislating for voluntary buy backs...
Queensland Government sells out on Murray-Darling Basin plan: Littleproud
Leader of The Nationals David Littleproud says the Palaszczuk Government has sold out Queensland communities by signing up to Federal Labor’s latest Murray-Darling Basin plan. The Albanese Government has announced it would tear up Labor’s original policy on the additional 450 gigalitres of the Murray-Darling Basin plan and ignore the social and economic neutrality test, protecting communities from water buybacks.
Historic deal struck to guarantee a future for the Murray-Darling Basin: Plibersek
The Albanese Labor Government has struck an historic agreement to deliver the Murray-Darling Basin Plan in full, including 450 gigalitres of water for the environment. The agreement, made between the Federal, New South Wales, South Australia, Queensland and the Australian Capital Territory governments...
Common sense prevails for Basin Plan projects: VFF
The Victorian Farmers Federation (VFF) welcomes the Albanese Government’s decision to extend the timeframe for implementing the Murray-Darling Basin Plan. VFF Water Council Chair Andrew Leahy said common sense had prevailed following Minister Tanya Plibersek’s announcement to allow efficiency projects to progress and be counted towards the Plan’s targets.
Nature Conservation Council of NSW turns on conservationists
The Nature Conservation Council (NCC) of New South Wales has blasted what it calls a “concerted misinformation campaign being spread by corporate irrigators about the proposal to purchase water for the environment.” The move has disappointed communities in the southern connected system as they fight to protect their livelihoods, environment and communities.
More time will allow the Basin Plan to be finished the smart way: NFF
The National Farmers’ Federation (NFF) welcomes Minister Plibersek’s announcement that she will seek to extend the Murray-Darling Basin Plan deadlines. NFF President Fiona Simson said the extension would buy time for smarter completion of the plan without resorting to devastating buybacks.

